Saturday, February 25, 2006
MOMMY MY SOCIAL STUDIES PROJECT IS GOING TO BE AWESOME!
UPDATE: K and I had a long talk about the following story. She in no way was making light of the subject. She really did want to explore and research 9/11. She told me she thought about the tower and planes because there were actually people in her class that didn't know what happened on 9/11. I told her no way....she said they really didn't. Finally, we talked about what a horrible day in history it was and reenacting it with models would be really sad. She understood and started crying. She just wanted me to know she wasn't making light of all the people who died. My poor girl.
So, the girly has a project to do for the 5th grade social studies fair. What has she come up with? She and her best friend (a clone and also an honor student) have decided to do something on 9/11.
Wow...9/11. I'm shocked. Very impressive. So, here's the conversation we had. I'll just set up a bullet of some her ideas and observations.
- Mommy I know one of the "TOURIST'S" name. (Ummmm did she mean terrorist. I checked with her and she did. Terrorist not tourist.)
- Hey mommy we have it all figured out. We're going to do a board display and then build the twin towers. (Holy Crap...she's not thinking what I think she's thinking?)
- Then we're going to build the towers with things from Home Depot. You can do that since you know how to use the tools. (She sooooo knows me.)
- Oh and we need to buy some airplanes. (NO SHE DID NOT SAY THAT)
- Then we can have the planes crash into the Towers and they will fall.
There will be NO CRASHING OF PLANES!!!!! How do you relay the concept of "in bad taste" and "just not ok?" Basically, you just say...Aaaaah NO. There will be no crashing of planes and buildings falling down. Why? Because I'm the Mommy and I say so. If you argue you'll lose the phone for a week.
All of that and on the first cup of coffee!!!!! Welcome to my world world friends. :)